Tuesday 19 August 2008

A Chetham's Diary: Friday 17 August 2007

Exactly one year ago, I enrolled in the Chetham's International Summer School and Festival for Pianists. Yes, seven days of piano nirvana. Here is my diary.
The Chetham's School's Millgate Building

Friday August 17

I had been forewarned in The Straits Times: British Airways has been voted the world’s worst airline! In an effort to save a few hundred dollars, I had forsaken Singapore Airlines’ direct flight to Manchester and opted for a stopover at Heathrow – voted the world’s worst airport. Big mistake. The flight was delayed two hours. And it takes the entire duration of Rachmaninov’s Third Piano Concerto to push off from Terminal One to Terminal Four, and yet another Rach 3 to clear immigration and the mandatory bombs check. As luck would have it, the performances on my I-pod at that moment were by David Helfgott and Tedd Joselson.
Some unintended British humour

No comments: