Holland Goal#1: Felipe Melo (own goal)
Holland Goal #2: Wesley Sneijder
HOLLAND 2 - BRAZIL 1
Q: How on earth did highly fancied Brazil lose to Holland?
A: Play like Arsenal. And here's how:
1. Turn up expecting an easy win.
2. Score an early goal from silky passing.
3. Dominate the first half but fail to apply the finishing touch.
4. Concede from set pieces.
5. Have your goalkeeper flap like Almunia, Fabianski, Lehmann, Mannone (take a pick).
6. Score a comical own goal (a la Abou Diaby).
7. Have a player sent off from a silly foul. End of lesson from Professor Wenger.
(Uruguay win 4-2 on penalties)
There were lots of opportunities for both sides to score, but aside from two exceptional long distance goals (from Sulley Muntari and Diego Forlan), it was a stalemate. Cue a penalty for Ghana in the last minute of extra time, Asamoah Gyan to score and send the Africans to a historic first semi-final, right? Wrong, he fluffed it and Ghana go out in the penalty shoot-out. Suarez's handball and red card now looks like a touch of genius (or Hand of God). How to lose on penalties: do it like England. Shoot low, soft and near the keeper. Rating: 4/5