Thursday 28 February 2013

PIANIST ALBERT LIN'S TRIBUTE TO HIS TEACHER ONG LIP TAT




HERE IS PIANIST ALBERT LIN’S TRIBUTE 
TO HIS TEACHER ONG LIP TAT

I first met Mr Ong at age 15 at his apartment in Telok Kurau when I went to audition for him. Although I was full of nerves while waiting due to the many horror stories I had heard, I found him to be extremely warm and personable.

My lessons with him were always filled with tremendous insight into the music I played, and watching him demonstrate on the piano was really inspiring. He never failed to bring the best out of me, even qualities I never knew I had. I always looked forward to my weekly lessons, and would be upset whenever lessons had to be cancelled. I also remember the freezing conditions under which he made us play in his weekly studio classes, which was great training for me as I later studied in sub-zero temperatures at Michigan! After only a year of lessons, I successfully auditioned for a place at Peabody.


Despite his many critics and detractors, I've always found him to be full of joy and warmth and love for his friends and family. Even after I graduated, I would meet up with him regularly for meals with other ex-students of his. He was always supportive and took a great interest in our lives and careers, and always made himself available to us.


His passing is a great loss to the music circle in Singapore, and he will be missed by all.

Rest In Peace, my dear teacher and friend.

No comments: