Wednesday, 22 July 2026

PRE-CONCERT EATS: HA-JUN KOREAN FOOD @ ESPLANADE MRT XCHANGE




Where do I have a quick meal before a concert at Esplanade? Makan Sutra Gluttons Bay offers al fresco dining but Esplanade MRT Xchange offers air-conditioned comfort. There used to be a food court which had good Penang food but that's gone for several few years, so I make do with decent Korean food at Ha-Jun Korean, a chain dining outlet that does swift business.


It does not really matter if there are no Koreans cooking the meals. In fact, the chefs and servers are mostly Indonesian, and you can sometimes hear Indonesian pop music blaring in the background, which is groovy in a certain way. The service is quick, and one barely needs to wait 5 minutes before your "number" is called, in Mandarin!



I invariably have a beef kimchi ramyeon which is hot and spicy, but I don't mind the sweat. My wife and I shared a beef bimimbap on one occasion, and were well-filled before a concert. Another very nice aspect of this place is it provides a free flow of hot brown rice tea, which I make sure to get at least two cups full. Prices are modest, and there's no dish above $10, while my humble ramyeon is $6.50, with a recent raise of 50 cents. Halal certified of course.

Your order number is announced 
in Mandarin, while you sip your tea.


HA-JUN KOREAN
90 Bras Basah Road, #B1-29 /29a
Esplanade MRT Xchange


No comments: