Thursday 25 August 2011

Singapore Architecture: Raffles Institution at Bishan

Yesterday, I was invited to give a talk on "Effective Concert Programming" to the students of Raffles Institution / Raffles Junior College. Visiting my alma mater was a somewhat emotional matter for me, having spent 6 years of my formative life in what is Singapore's elite educatio0nal institutions. Even though the spanking new premises at Bishan were unfamiliar (this is my first time ever visiting the campus), the sense of pride of being a Rafflesian was a personal one. For starters, the buildings at Bishan are so impressive, in contrast to the old Grange Road and Paterson campuses. Here are some photos I took of the school. Students of today do have it good!








My talk was held at the Innovation Centre, where the school's Roll of Honour is also housed.






The old RI had one quadrangle. This one has many.


The Raffles Biodiversity Pond is a far cry from the old Natural Sciences Society's pond, which was literally a hole in the ground.




What makes a school great is not its buildings, founder nor brand name, but its students - past, present and future.

No comments: