Friday, 25 September 2026

SUKA MAKAN: SOUTH BANK FISH & CHIPS @ ONE HOLLAND VILLAGE




We've been looking out for a chippy (fish and chip shop) for a long time, and I think we've found it. Fish and chips are regularly served at Western food stalls in most hawker centres as well as menus of western-styled eateries, but a typical English fish and chips place is hard to find. There was Smith's Fish & Chips at Balmoral Plaza, but that has closed or moved out. Anyway, I did not care for its poor value for money.



However, South Bank Fish and Chips at One Holland Village looks like and tastes like the real deal. By naming it South Bank, one supposes that refers to south of the Thames, but has anybody here been to the area near Waterloo Station? This place looks too neat! For the longest time, it was rough and grotty but I've heard its gentrified of late. So I think this chippy is referring to the new and improved South Bank.

Just a reminder what South Bank looks like.
The area of Lower Marsh,
south of Waterloo Station.

Anyway, I loved the genuine way it did its fish and chips. The portions are generous, and there's more than enough French fries to keep one filled. Sauces included tartar and curry, with a small side of mushy green peas. There's also vinegar which any self-respecting fish & chip lover will use to spray the goods. Rule: never eat your chips with tomato ketchup in a place like this. It's just disrespectful.

I picked Dory, which was the cheapest option
but it was simply delicious.
Janet had the Baked Fish Pie,
and that was good too.
Only the watered-down
New England clam chowder 
was a disappointment.

Will we come back? In a heartbeat!


SOUTH BANK FISH AND CHIPS
7 Holland Village Way #01-03/04/05
Singapore 275748 

No comments: